Join me on my personal adventures in the wonderful world of the humble record. There's no final destination - just a continuous joyous journey.

Gorilla - James Taylor




In 1975 James Taylor was at the top of his game and one of his iconic singles - How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You - is the third track on side one. He is a true master of his genre of - dare I say - easy-listening music. But what's wrong with music that you can listen to with such ease? My wife says he's too wishy-washy for her taste, but I say I love his melody, his virtuoso guitar playing and his vocal style.


Produced by Lenny Waronker and Russ Titleman, this LP includes some top names joining him, such as his then wife Carly Simon, Graham Nash and David Crosby, David Sanborn and Randy Newman.

It's the sort of LP that's perfect to play on a Sunday afternoon when it's raining outside. There's not a single song here that doesn't warm your cockles. From the standout track Mexico to Wandering, from the title track to Sarah Maria, everything works just so.

If you don't know much James Taylor, this is a perfect album to dip your toes in with. If you do know James Taylor, would you agree with me that this is possibly his best?